We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
If you want to plant peonies, you should always do it in autumn. When planting peonies in the garden, however, there are a few things to consider.
More than 33 different peony varieties are known worldwide. They have different flower shapes and colors. In addition to red peonies (Paeonia), white and pink varieties are also available from specialist retailers. You should know that a distinction is made between shrub and perennial peonies. Shrub peonies can grow up to two meters high and withdraw in autumn. Perennial peonies reach heights of between 60 and 100 centimeters and also withdraw in autumn and winter. Both varieties are planted in the same way.
How to plant peonies properly
If you want to buy peonies or order them by mail order, you should do so in summer so that you have the plants at home in good time, because the best time to plant them is from the end of August to mid-September. Then do the following:
- Peonies thrive best on well-drained clay soils. If you have a heavy soil in the garden, make it more permeable with expanded clay or coarse sand. You can improve very light sandy soils by adding stone powder.
- You must loosen the soil well before planting. Then dig out the planting pit. As a rule, two ground-breaking tricks serve as a measure.
- Now you can insert the peony into the planting hole. Do not plant the peonies too deeply. The buds should be covered with soil about three centimeters. Nothing more, otherwise the peony could not bloom.
- Finally, you only need to water the plant well.
How to sow peonies properly
You can also get peonies in the garden by sowing them. The best time for this is in spring. Proceed as follows:
- If you have obtained seeds from a peony, you should immediately plant them in the ground. Put them in deep seed bowls with sandy loam or cactus soil.
- Then place the bowls in a partially shaded place and always keep the soil moist.
- As soon as the seedlings show up in spring, you need to prick out the plantlets. Leave the cotyledons underground.
- In September you can then plant the young peonies in the garden.